WESTERN Cape MEC for Health Theuns Botha said surgical operations at the new Khayelitsha District Hospital would not be suspended, as this would negatively affect local and surrounding communities.
The new R450-million hospital was the scene of protests last week, which saw the burning of tyres and stoning of two ambulances.
Ten people were arrested and on Sunday, protesters marched to the hospital to hand over a memorandum.
The protesters demanded that all operations be suspended with immediate effect and that the process of filling of posts be redone.
Speaking to Sowetan yesterday, Botha said all appointments were made within the required prescripts, with many of those appointed coming from Khayelitsha or the surrounding areas.
The department had advertised a total of 324 posts on November 5 last year. Botha said: “About 76815 applications were received, including duplications. Short-listing started on November 28 and was concluded on December 28.