Comparing Medical Aid Schemes
Be sure to compare different medical schemes' plans before you sign up for medical aid. Getting the right health insurance or medical aid in South Africa is vital to one's continued good health, so ensure that your medical aid plan meets your individual needs.
What to look for when comparing medical aids
Not all medical schemes offer the great benefits and cover levels Selfmed offers â€“ have a look yourself! When shopping around and doing medical aid comparisons, really take a critical look at the levels of medical cover, day-to-day limits on medical expenses, the conditions for claiming as well as the chronic benefits. Most importantly, consider the following points:
- Does the medical aid scheme offer the type of medical aid plan you'd like? Selfmed offers a range of plans to suit different lifestyles. Compare our medical aid plans now.
- Does the scheme offer plans that you can afford? Selfmed's rates are affordable, and its increases remain consistently low.
- Have your health checked. Make sure that the scheme you're considering will cover you for any existing medical ailments you may have.
- Don't be distracted by bells and whistles. Some medical aid schemes in South Africa offer a range of attractive extras, such as discounts on movie tickets, cheaper airline flights, gym memberships or cheaper groceries. But all these 'nice to haves' mean very little if you're not sufficiently covered when you need it most.
- Make sure that the medical aid scheme offers chronic illness cover and prescribed minimum benefits. All of Selfmed's plans, including our hospital plan, offer PMBs, while our MED Elite option offers affordable chronic medical aid cover.
To find the right medical aid scheme for your needs, compare a number of medical aids in South Africa in terms of credibility, size and stability. Then request medical aid quotes online for the medical aid plans that would be most suited to your individual needs, or the needs of your family, if you have children or other dependants.
Should you get confused or overwhelmed, it may be a good idea to consult a medical aid broker.
Medical Aid Comparisons - Consulting a medical aid broker
Brokers know the difference between medical aids in South Africa and each of their plans on offer, and should be able to give you a good idea of which medical scheme and medical option to join. Obtaining free comparative quotes from different medical schemes should not be too difficult.
Contact a Selfmed medical aid consultant to start evaluating your medical aid options.
Learn more about:
How to compare medical aids 2013
How medical aids are funded
Changing or switching your medical aid