About Selfmed Medical Scheme
Selfmed is a registered, medium size, open medical aid scheme that was established in 1965 and formally registered on 19 November 1974.
The Scheme is a firmly established autonomous INDEPENDENT Legal ENTITY regulated by The Medical Schemes Act no.131 of 1998.
The Scheme was founded 45 years ago and has established a strong track record.
Selfmed understands and is committed to good governance and ethical business conduct. Selfmed is one of only very few medical schemes to have joined the Ethics Institute of South Africa.
Who owns Selfmed Medical Scheme?
Selfmed is an autonomous, INDEPENDENT, Legal ENTITY and belongs to its members.
Who is the Controlling Body of the Scheme?
Selfmed Medical Scheme is controlled by a Board of Trustees elected by the members:
Mr Trevor Harris (Chairman), Dr Reg Engelbrecht, Mr Francois de Wit and Mr D Albertyn.
The well-being of Selfmed is more than a fiduciary duty to the Trustees, as can be testified from the time and energy that they devote to Selfmed and members' interests.
What is the Scheme's Solvency Ratio?
With solvency levels well in excess of legislative requirements the Scheme's extremely favourable financial position offers members financial stability, security and peace of mind. The scheme's financial strength is directly attributable to the diligence and active management.
What about Administration?
Selfmed regards administration as a vital component to its future success. The scheme is directly involved with all aspects of the administration. The fully integrated administration system that is utilised enables our medical scheme to offer excellent service levels in all administrative areas, e.g. processing of claims, resolving queries, etc.
The Selfmed vision is consolidated into a value statement that embraces the values and corner-stones of the Scheme.
Simplicity, Sincerity, Security, Service.
- offering an uncomplicated, affordable product range
- options are structured to meet members' healthcare needs
- easily understandable options within a very high-tech industry
- easy accessibility through various offices,
- a website in both English and Afrikaans
- the well-being of the scheme is more than a fiduciary duty to the Trustees
- conducting business in a transparent manner
- members and intermediaries are the scheme's number one priority
- sound relationships with service providers, members and intermediaries
- regular communication with members and intermediaries
- personalised, individual attention
- constant focus to add value
- extensively trained call centre
- support and advice to both members and intermediaries
- high ethical standards
Security - having solvency levels that are well above the legislative requirements
- financial stability and sustainability
- 45 years' experience in the medical aid industry
- strong track record
- providing peace of mind
- good corporate governance
- hands-on involvement by management
- well managed scheme
- accredited and registered intermediary network
- competitive options, offering quality benefits
Service - offering unsurpassed service levels
- prompt and efficient attention to all enquiries
- Excellence Centre staffed by highly trained and knowledgeable experts
Whilst we are able to ensure that members receive the personalised, individual attention they deserve, they also have the peace of mind of knowing that Selfmed is a prosperous and secure scheme looking after all their medical scheme needs
What about Support and Accessibility?
Four marketing offices have been established. Cape Town / Johannesburg / Nelspruit and Durban.
These offices operate as direct point of service where intermediaries and members can obtain support and information about the Scheme. Support and assistance is also offered to members in all the other provinces as well.
The Selfmed team is committed to offer first-class service, thereby adding value to the needs of members and intermediaries.
Selfmed's Service Excellence Centre offers members, intermediaries and providers access to highly trained specialists who are empowered to resolve and finalise most enquiries on first point of contact.
Full names: Mr Trevor Harris (Chairman)
Mr Harris is involved in various directorships, currently a broker owner, involved in project management and property consulting.
Full names: Dr Reg Engelbrecht
Dr Engelbrecht holds a Chiropractic BS D.C. degree. He serves on various advisory boards and councils, incl. the World Federation of Chiropractics, which is affiliated to the World Health Organisation. (WHO)
Full names: Mr Francois de Wit
Mr De Wit has been involved with the Financial Services industry for more than 25 years and has an invaluable amount of knowledge and experience, by virtue of interaction at senior level with several open medical aid schemes.
Full names: Mr D Albertyn
Mr Albertyn is a Chartered accountant, holding a higher diploma in accounting.